Friday, June 27, 2014

A Saturday Night in the 'Burg - Sort of...

It is always interesting heading to downtown Pittsburgh to do something. I drove down with two friends on Saturday evening. We had planned to go to The Three Rivers Art Festival. We never got to it because there was no place to park. Every parking lot was filled. I know this will bring money into the Pittsburgh coffers but it was a pain trying to find a parking lot and driving around and having to wait for the pedestrians to cross with or against the light. It was nuts trying to drive or change lanes or make a turn because the drivers do whatever they want. Ever hear of driver’s training, or following the rules and the law…no, I guess not. No one follows the rules…and that goes for the drivers as well as the pedestrians.

We didn’t let all this dampen our spirits. We made our funny comments, which were only hilarious to us, and carried on as if we were the live comedic entertainment. Thank, God, we could still laugh. Finally, we decided to go to Station Square. We found empty spots in the $6.00 lot. Wow…instead of paying $20 for a downtown lot, we saved $14.00. That was a deal.

We ended up going to the Hard Rock Café to check out the new Hard Rock collector pins. We looked around at the other merchandise, picked out what we wanted, paid for it, and left as the loud music followed us out into the street.

We went over to Houlihan’s Restaurant for dinner. It was nice but dark in the restaurant…they really need to put in some better lighting. We passed by some Reserved Tables, along with a number of empty tables. We sat and waited as the waiters and waitresses kept walking by us. They never bothered to look at us. I guess they were busy but I’m not sure why because the restaurant was fairly empty. Finally, I asked one of my friends to touch my hand to see if I was invisible or dead. I wasn’t. Then I kind of made some dopey comments, along with , “Hello, anybody there?” I am sorry if I made my companions uncomfortable but really after a long wait, someone should have noticed three laughing women. Wouldn’t you think?

Finally, someone must have noticed my waving, stopped at the table and asked if we had been waited on. No was our polite response. The waitress seemed embarrassed, brought us a menu, asked for our drink order.  When she came back to take our order, she asked if we would like some complimentary salsa and chips. Of course we did. Both were tasty and really good. We got our order. Ate it and when they brought us our bill…I had half of my food left. Eventually, I had to flag someone down to get a take-out box.

Oh well…the next time, I will skip Houlihan’s and try to find an outdoor vendor who sells hot dogs from his cart.


All in all, we had fun and laughed our way silly to Pittsburgh and back. If you are planning on going downtown, I highly recommend the laughter and skip everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment