Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Historic St. John's Church in Richmond, VA



I sat down in one of the dark wooden pews and drank in the beauty of St. John’s Church in Richmond, Virginia. My thoughts were that this was such a solid, quiet, beautiful, church filled with history. I felt excited knowing that Patrick Henry gave his “Give me Liberty or give me Death” speech in this church. I was overwhelmed with so many other feelings as well.

When our guide talked about Patrick Henry, the Virginia colonists, taxation laws, and ended with the rallying point of Patrick Henry’s speech, I felt that if I were there at that time, I would have jumped up and yelled, “Count me in!”

It’s hard to believe that this church was around in 1775, and that speech was given on March 23, 1775. It boggles my mind to know that the church was built and completed in 1741, and has undergone improvements, expansion, and renovation. But mostly I am amazed and happy to see that it is still standing today.


St. John’s Church is one of the oldest churches built and designated a landmark. What’s more amazing and comforting to know is that it is still an active church with a thriving Episcopal community of worshipers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment