Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Another Birthday


For me, birthdays were so much more fun when I was younger.

I remember when I was a kid and how much I really anticipated my birthday? The excitement, almost made me wet my pants in the anticipation of that big day. My birthday signified my special day and I felt that everyone should focus on me and plan a great celebration. Maybe my birthday should have been a ticker tape parade with fireworks, and definitely with confetti that would rain from the perfect blue sky. A sunshine day ordained by God.

I loved my birthdays and couldn’t wait to see and eat my special birthday meal, followed by chocolate cake with chocolate icing, and ice cream.

One present that I remembered getting from my brother made me search my brain and questioned out loud, “Why?”
My brother answered, “That’s what you pointed out in the window of the toy store.”

“A globe of the world?” I was incredulous in my reply and knew that he had missed the doll or stuffed animal that was next to the globe.

When I turned 16, my father played the record, Sweet Sixteen by Johnny Burnette. My father played that song over and over again, all day long. Of course on the outside my face was beat red. But inside, I was secretly pleased.

Another memory crossed my mind about one of my birthdays. It wasn’t my best memory. Years ago, when I was married and had nine little children, my now, ex-husband, gathered all my children, took them out, and treated them to dinner at McDonald’s. I was left home, alone. That birthday was over 30 years ago and I can still remember how awful I felt. Man, that birthday really sucked!

I just celebrated another birthday. My kids planned the party at my house. They strolled in with their spouses and children with presents, pizzas, beer, appetizers, cupcakes, ice cream, and the most delicious cake from the Oakmont Bakery.

Each year it gets harder to see another birthday being notched to my belt. There are a lot of notches there but spending it with the people who care and love me, like my kids, their spouses and my grandchildren, makes the birthday celebrations and years to come, so much more palatable.

Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment