Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Day Out With My Grandson


Finally, I got around to doing something special with my oldest grandson. I made a date to take him out. I picked up Matthew, and we headed for Barnes and Noble. One thing that Matthew and I share, besides family and the same last name, is that we are both writers. Matthew is 10-years-old, and he has been writing and illustrating his own books, even before he could read or write. He has quite a collection of his stories lined up on his book shelf. I have read every one of them and I have to admit, they are pretty good. He also writes on his own blog under Hot Dog Comics And Other Cool Things.

Along with writing, we share a love of reading and books, so on Sunday, we were headed for Barnes and Noble, and I was going to let Matthew pick out whatever books that he wanted. He picked out two Harry Potter books, a Big Nate book and the Red Pyramid. While he was picking out his books, I found a magazine and two books that I wanted to read, and I bought something for each of Matthew’s brother and sisters.

After we paid for our books, we headed to Red Robyn’s for lunch. The service was terrible but the food was great. I consumed a delicious gourmet cheese burger with fires and lemonade, while Matthew had a vanilla shake, cheese pizza and fries. While we waited for our order, we talked about school, books, and movies and played tic-tic -toe, and hangman.

Usually when I am around Matthew, there are five other siblings and two dogs, all vying for attention. So being with Matthew alone was fun. I decided that he is a really cool little guy, and that he is interesting and pretty funny, and how lucky I was to have had this one on one with my oldest grandson. I really enjoyed the few hours that I got to share with Matthew, just the two of us. In the future, I will plan more “one-on-one” dates with Matthew and with my other grandchildren.

I considered the time spent with Matthew a five star, two thumbs up outing!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks 4 posting about me. Check out my blog i have a surprise on it. From your grandson.

    ReplyDelete