Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dance Moms

Three words that can describe the television series, Dance Moms, are appalling, entertaining, and mouth dropping. I’m not sure what it is about Dance Moms? When the first scene of the series opens, there are shots of the view of downtown Pittsburgh. But in reality, the Abby Lee Dance Studio is located in Penn Hills, a suburb of Pittsburgh.

The premise of the show is about the dance studio, the students, and the interactions between Abby Lee, owner and dance instructor, and bigger than life person, the four main dance moms (Kelly, Melissa, Holly and Christi), some crazy and over the top mothers who come in and out of the show (Cathy, Jill, Leslie), and the adorable dance students (Maddie, Mackenzie, Nia, Chloe, Brooke, Paige, Kendall).

My daughter got me hooked on this show. At first I was taken aback at how demeaning Abby and the moms could be. At times I found myself laughing and at other times I found myself yelling at Abby and at the moms. And I found myself watching the episodes, despite the mixed feelings that I had about the show.

Toward the end of each episode is the dance competition. All I can say is that it is great watching the graceful movements of each girl and the entertaining performances of the group. The girls are so talented and cute, that you wonder how they can perform with all the other stuff that goes on between Abby Lee and the crazy Moms.

Dance Moms is now in its 2nd season, and the show has been highly criticized by a number of people and even by me at times. I still watch the show, it makes me laugh, and sometimes I yell out loud at Abby Lee and the Moms, when they go way over the top.

Okay, I like Dance Moms, but I also am so glad that I don’t have any little girls at that dance studio. But I still like watching the show to see what happens next. If that makes me bad…so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment