Saturday, December 22, 2012

Wexford Dry Goods Company


I didn’t find this store – my daughter told me about this yarn shop. Finally after two attempts and being directional defunct, my daughter actually drove me to the shop, which is located near the new Giant Eagle/Market District in Wexford.

 

When we walked into the shop, I was taken aback, not just by the newness, but by the fact that the store was bright and airy and not packed with merchandise that a customer would bump into.

 

At one end, there is an area where one can knit or crochet or sew in the comfortable and inviting chairs and couch. There is even a table where a patron can set up a sewing machine.

 

One wall has shelves filled artistically with the most beautiful and colorful fabrics that would please any quilter or sewer. There are displays of needles and handmade stuffed animals, cards, tags and more. On another wall, my favorite, the yarn is displayed in different colors and shades. It dares a customer to leave the shop without choosing a few skeins for a winter project.

 

There are also some lovely antique looking tables and a wooden glass case with more interesting items on display. But it wasn’t the yarn and the displays that caught my eye…it was all the eclectic magazines. On both of my trips to the shop, I walked away with at least a half dozen magazines. They were magazines that I would have never come across on the shelves of a bookstore. They are the magazines that you find in a specialty book. But to see them in person makes any collector, reader or creative person purchase them. There were magazines like The Simple Things, Kinfolk, Mollie, Homemaker, Atlas Quarterly and others. Of these magazines my two favorite ones were Kinfolk and Atlas Quarterly. The photographs were amazing and the writing was outstanding. They were both pricey but for me, as a writer, they were well worth it. I know for a fact that I will keep them, look them over and over and will even share them with friends, on condition that they are returned to me.

 

But it also is the owner who will make you want to return. Carolyn McKeating is a friendly warm person who makes any customer who walks through the doors of the Wexford Dry Goods Company feels as if they are long lost friends or family. From the minute you enter the shop and Carolyn greets you, you feel like family and believe me, you’ll come back again.

2 comments:

  1. vicki_grey@hotmail.comDecember 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM

    Thanks, Mary. I have to go there. Already my daughter and I have hit Yarn Design in Oakmont and we're to hit a few more!
    Merry Christmas!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw your comment. Go...you will like it. Also try Dyed in the Wool on Babcock Blvd. Hope you had a nice Christmas. See you in the New Year when we get together again!

    ReplyDelete