Saturday, December 1, 2012

Sitting Alone in the Kitchen


It’s early and no one else is in my daughter’s catering kitchen yet. All I hear is the hum of the refrigerator motor, and nothing else. I assume my daughter is either making a food delivery or is at Sam’s Club, picking up her food order. The other worker, Jeff, won’t be in for another hour or so. He comes in later, and stays after everyone leaves for the day.

 

Everything in the kitchen is spotless: the counters have been wiped down and disinfected. All the dish counters have also been scrubbed, and disinfected as well. Water has been drained from the dishwasher and the food in the trap has been cleaned out. Now we will have to just fill the dishwasher with hot water.

 

Since I’m the first one in, I will check a few things, place trash bags in the two empty large trash cans and make a full pot of coffee.

 

My daughter will arrive shortly and  we will tackle the last minute food that is needed for her Saturday wedding and for the two wedding showers on her calendar that she has for the weekend. Once we get busy, there will be more noise – the exhaust fans running, the radio playing, and the dishwasher will be in constant use. There will be the banging of the pots and pans, the chopping of the food, and chicken being pounded, so that it will be thin and tender.

 
But for now – I will just enjoy the humming of the refrigerator

No comments:

Post a Comment