Friday, October 4, 2013

A Quest for the Perfect Pie


 

 
Last fall I got together with a friend from Graduate School, and did a few day trips, driving around through some old towns and cemeteries, taking photos, and sampling food and delicious desserts from a few tasty restaurants.

 

On a recent day trip, my friend jokingly remarked that we should travel around, searching for the best pie. You know something – she is exactly right, because so far, we have eaten at three different restaurants and sampled two different pies and dynamite Strawberry Short Cake.

 

The best pie so far was eaten at the Sky Jet Restaurant in Tionesta, Pa. There is no doubt in my mind that I will return to that restaurant and sample another piece of their Cherry Pie.  That piece of pie was out of this world. The filling was sweet with a hint of almond. But it was the crust that took the blue ribbon. It was a perfectly made crust not soggy, but flaky with sugar and crumbly. I usually leave the crust but this time I ate everything. That was how good the whole piece of Cherry pie was. It has been a year since I ate this dessert and I still think about it. Not only do I think about this but when I do, my mouth begins to water, and I can actually taste that delicious piece of cherry pie!

 

Then we sampled another dessert at Dick’s Diner in Blairsville, PA. Diners are a whole breed of their own. I have eaten in a number of diners and the food is usually good, hardy and plentiful. Food in diners remind me of good old fashioned down home cooking before the word healthy entered into our vocabulary.

 

Dick’s Diner was right on the main highway and easy to pull in an out of. The food was average. But I did have a piece of apple pie, warmed, while my friend ordered a meringue pie. The pies were good but not memorable. My pie’s warmed apple filling was sweet but too mushy and the crust…average.

 

This was when my friend said, we should search for the best pie. Good idea – so for now I quest for the perfect pie.

 

If you have any ideas as where to sample some good pie…let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Just wondering what your favorite pie is. I just happen to know someone that makes a pretty good pie! I LOVE pecan pie, with a little whisky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck with the pecan pie...give me the whiskey!

    ReplyDelete