Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Halie the Baker




The work at my daughter’s catering kitchen can be long and hard. A lot of the time after working, I go home so sore that I have to take a few pills to help out with the pain. But working in the kitchen does have some rewards.


One of my biggest pleasures is working at one of the prep tables across from the other table, watching Halie, who is the baker, make her ciabatta bred, or roll out and cut the rolls to bake, or watch her frost and decorate her cupcakes. My biggest perk is always getting to sample whatever Halie makes. I don’t always have to ask to sample anything. All I have to do is say, “Wow, that looks amazing, “ and without any hesitation, with a smile on her face, Halie will cut me some of her ciabatta bread, or give me a mouth-watering sweet roll, or a scrumptious scone, or a delectable cupcake or cookie that seems to melt in my mouth. My favorite is the delicious pizza rolls. They are shaped in large circles, rather big, and honest to God, I could eat at least six of them, one after another, and not even feel guilty about it.


What I love about Halie is her over the top energy. She starts work at four and by the time I arrive, she must drink at least a whole pot of coffee. I also like the fact that I like the music she plays and she has learned to lower it so that we can talk to one another.





I seldom get paid or ever get a raise, but I do take my payment in as many free pastries as I can. I have also been known to walk out with one of Halie’s scones without even telling her. Halie also bakes pies and cakes. I have had some of her cakes and those are fabulous. But, I haven’t quite figured out how to sample one of those pies, just yet. But I am working on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment