Friday, March 6, 2015

Planting 2015

Last Wednesday was my first day back at the Greenhouse for this year’s planting season. Despite that I was looking forward to working, I wrestled with wondering if I had the time or stamina to do the job. I am babysitting twice a week, and writing with a friend one day a week. I thought about the greenhouse and decided that I loved it and needed to do something for me.

I was excited to be back. I had my back pack filled with my work gear, pulled into the lot with snow covering the ground. I parked by two cars, other than that the lot was empty and forlorn looking. I walked into the greenhouse and was greeted by the displays of plants, brightly colored pottery, and Tonka, the yellow tabby cat. Tonka gave me a loud meow and I had to stop and pet him.

Before walking upstairs to the office, I passed the inviting Fairy garden area, where I had to check it out. I admired the tiny white lights draped on the ceiling, and the blue tulle gathered around and on the table where the fairy items were. Then I finally made it upstairs, signed in, and went back downstairs, ready to start planting. I walked into house one and found a planting bench filling half of one side with nothing but plants.

I worked on the pansies; six trays to be exact. I planted up the baby plugs of six different varieties: Primrose, Peach, Mixed, Violet, Blue, and Strawberry Cream. Before I know it, it was lunch time. I left early but didn’t miss much because the well water froze, and there was no more water to plant up the rest of the baby plugs.


Hopefully I won’t have to worry next week because it looks like the weather will be warmer. I pretty much have had a heads up about more plants coming in to the greenhouse. As long as the weather warms up, and the well isn’t frozen…I will be back planting up those little baby plugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment