Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Spring has arrived in the Greenhouse


 I drove to the greenhouse while the snow was coming down in big white flakes, covering the trees, grass, and roads. The oddity is the first day of spring. I pulled into the empty parking lot; everything is bare, except for the snow covering the ground, and the tops of the greenhouses.



After signing in, I find that the planting orders arrived yesterday at 2:30. Some trays were in House #1. But the majority of the plugs were in Greenhouse #5. Some of the trays were on the tall plant stand. Those were the begonias and they would stay there for a while, until they got bigger. The rest were on one of the planting tables, lying side by side. There had to be over 30 trays or more. My thought was “That’s a lot of plants!”



I went to town planting on the different tables…the two varieties of Streptocarpus in 6” pots. The rest of the plants went into 4-1/2” pots…Lanai Peach Verbena, Wall Street and Indian Frills Coleus, Papaya Petunia, Light Green and Sweet Georgia Bullfrog Impomoea, Magic Carpet Mecardonia, Vivid Deep Purple Verbena, Betty White Bacopa, Pazzaz Vivid Yellow and Pink Portulaca, and Penstemon. When I finished all of those, I planted up a few other plants without plant tags.








I worked until I couldn’t plant anymore. When my back started to hurt and my fingers and hands began aching, I decided that I was done. I looked back at the table and decided that I had put a bit of a dent in those trays.




I also knew that another smaller shipment would arrive next week and that I would be doing more planting. Spring has arrived…at least in the greenhouse with all those spring shipments of baby plugs. Let’s hope that the snow will get the memo that spring has arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment