Monday, March 2, 2015

Felix, the Cat

I reluctantly “adopted” Felix, my granddaughter’s black and white, long hair cat. She couldn’t keep him anymore, so I took in her cat. After my last two cats had to be put to sleep last year, within the same two weeks period, I made a promise to myself – no more cats.

I was adjusting to my life alone. At first it was hard. I used to share my bed with two big cats; one cuddled next to me, the other would sleep on my legs. At times, after they died, I thought I heard a cat’s meow, or out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a cat running down the hallway.

Then my granddaughter pleaded with me to take her cat, or it was going to be shipped off to the Humane Society. I couldn’t let that happen, so I reluctantly said yes, and Felix moved in with me with his litter box, a big 10 pound container of litter, a 5 pound bag of cat food and his own cat bed (that he never uses).

Felix used to live with me for a few years before his family moved out and into their own home. Somehow, I forgot about Felix’s quirks. Felix loves to wait until you are walking down the steps, and tries to run down the steps and take out your feet. Even though I give him fresh water daily, Felix loves to drink out of the toilets. So, I always make sure that the toilets are clean and flushed. At night, Felix loves to annoy me by meowing, or jumping up on my bed and nudging my hands to pet him. The same goes when I eat…Felix is nearby, begging for food or trying to intercept my next bite.


Despite all of this, Felix has become my shadow and pet. Whenever my granddaughter comes over for a visit, she holds Felix like a baby and cuddles him. But most of the time, Felix, is my buddy, my pet, and my companion now.

No comments:

Post a Comment