Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Mount St. Helens



  


While waiting for my daughter to come back from work…she took a short day today, I threw together some homemade pasta sauce and meatballs for dinner tonight. But right now, I am excited about our upcoming trip to see Mount St. Helens in Washington.

As we drove through Portland’s downtown area, I could see Mt. Hood in the distance. Without cloud covering, I could see the entire mountain, especially the top. It looked like a perfect post card picture. And of course, I took a number of pictures from the car. On the left I could see Mount St. Helens. As we got closer and closer to Mount St. Helens…it got bigger and bigger!








While driving through the National Park to Mount St. Helens, we stopped first at the Visitors Center, where I had to buy a few post cards and magnets. I even purchased a small bottle of volcano ash. It wasn’t the real thing but a souvenir that I would put on my bookshelf in my bedroom. It would remind me that I actually saw Mount St. Helens!

Along the drive, we would stop at a number of look out areas where we parked and got out and took a number of pictures of the mountain. In the distance, we could actually see Mt. Adams, which is even taller than Mount St. Helens. Mount St. Helens has an elevation of 6,000 feet. Mt. Adams towers over it with an elevation of 11,000 feet. 






  Mt. Adams has snow on the top. It is to the left of Mount St. Helens.











The drive through the National Park was awesome; just simply breath-taking. All I could see were the mountains, a few creeks, and tall pine trees, which dotted the mountains and filled the sides of the road. As we got closer to Mount St. Helens, I could see the deep crevices along the mountain, where the lava streamed from the top of the volcano.


 


Our last stop was an observatory, where we could get a better close up of Mount St. Helens. As I gazed at this beautiful sight, I thought about when people talk about different states being God’s Country. I definitely would say this about Mount St. Helens, along with Mt. Hood, the Columbia Gorge and its waterfalls, all the mountains, and all the pine trees that grow along the river and on the mountains. Oregon and Washington have to be included in God’s Country!

No comments:

Post a Comment