Sunday, October 2, 2016

Oregon Coast





On my last day in Portland, I was filled with mixed feelings. On one hand, I was eager to be going home to see my kids, help out with my grandchildren, and resume work at the greenhouse. But on the other hand, I would miss my daughter and her husband, who had been the best host and hostess, touring me around and showing me all the sights that they could fit into my visit.

On the day before I was to return to Pittsburgh, we traveled to the Oregon Coast. Our drive was through a picturesque logging area, filled with tall pine trees. At times the road would become congested and along the drive I saw a few trucks driving by, carrying tree logs.

Finally, we arrived at Cannon Beach, Oregon. It was a scenic little coastal town. The beach was absolutely beautiful and the clean sand stretched as far as my eye could see. I opted to not put on my flip flops and later I would regret that decision.









Adjusting my eyes to the bright sun, right in front of me was the famous Haystack Rock. I had seen this famous rock in the movie Goonies. Haystack Rock towers around 235 feet and is accessible by foot, during low tide. The Rock’s tide pools are home to intertidal animals like the starfish, sea anemone, crabs and more. The tall rock also makes a perfect nesting place for the many different sea birds. Each step that we took along the sand, Haystack Rock became larger and larger.

We spent a bit of time taking pictures, walking along the beach, and sitting in the sand. After a while, I had to walk up to the water and put my hands into the Pacific Ocean…just because it was there. After a wave hit me, drenching the lower bottom of my pant legs, shoes and socks…that was when I wished that I had worn flip flops and at least rolled up my jeans!

After having our beach fix, we stopped and bought coffee and drank it on the front deck of the shop. I was able to view all the cute little shops that lined both sides of the street. My assessment was that I could live in a small coastal town.

As I settled into the front seat next to my son in law, he maneuvered the car onto Highway 101. This had always been on my ‘Bucket List” – a drive along Highway 101. Now, I can check that off of my wish list!


After some time, we drove into Seaside, Oregon, another beach town. While we were there we saw a classic car rally with some sweet antique cars driving around the streets. We took a few pictures of the Lewis and Clark statue, an interesting sand fence sculpture on the beach and some delightful kites flying along the beach.













Our final stop would be in Astoria, Washington to find the house that was filmed in the Goonies movie. Astoria is also the town where the movie Kindergarten Cop was filmed. We did find the Goonies house but a sign at the entrance of the street forbade visitors, cars, or cameras. So, we parked across the street in a lot and took a picture of the house…it would be a house with the tallest trees blocking our view. Oh well…the ride was well worth it!


In the end, we drove across the Astoria-Megler Bridge which is a cantilevered bridge that connects Oregon to Washington. The bridge spans 4.1 miles across the Columbia River. At times the water seemed inches from the car.


Unfortunately, the battery in my camera was exhausted and I couldn’t take any more pictures! This trip was the topping on an already sweet visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment