Thursday, May 2, 2013

The KItchen Was Buzzing


My daughter and I rolled into her catering kitchen around 8 am (yawn). We would be working on a number of foods for a couple of First Communion parties, a wedding and a few funeral receptions.

 

I had spent a few days cutting and mixing fruit salads, cutting up vegetables, putting together a pasta salad, making tossed salads, assembling two large hotel pans filled with quiches, chopping onions and broccoli for a broccoli salad. I baked and arranged cookies on trays and put together rolls and butter pats in baskets. I made and making over 100 tuna salad sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches and egg salad sandwiches on croissant rolls.

 

I did this identical work for two solid days. But on Friday, I shared my work space with my daughter on one prep table. On the other prep table, facing us were three other ladies. One was Lucy, pastry chef and owner of Bee Delicious Pastries. She was helping two of her clients to assemble pastries for a baby shower for their niece.

 

The kitchen was buzzing. With five people working in one kitchen, I was amazed at how clean the tables and sinks stayed. Everyone was breezing through their working  - even me. Everyone kept cleaning up their work stations and running their dirty utensils through the dishwasher. More amazing, even the sinks were clean and sparkling. I think my daughter Erin’s mantra to keep it clean, had finally rubbed off on me. Or else, I’m too afraid to disappoint her or get another lecture from her.

 

It was a real treat watching Lucy and the other two women work on the pastries. Lucy made the batters for the macaroon cookies, the cupcakes and biscotti’s, while the other two women cut the biscotti and dipped them in chocolate, using the pastry bag to make the macaroons.

 

I was given a biscotti to sample – yum! But the ultimate high point was the cupcakes with filling and the scrumptious French Vanilla Bean Buttercream frosting. It was so good and heavenly.

 

Yep, the kitchen was definitely hopping. Even I was moving quickly. When I finished all my work and left to go home, I was tired but at least my sweet tooth was satisfied.

 

If you are interested in having some delicious food made for your First Communions, Graduation Parties, Baby or Wedding Showers or Weeding Receptions, contact Erin at (erinsfinefoods.com). If you’re interested in the most amazing pastries, look at Lucy’s website (beedeliciouspastries.com).

1 comment:

  1. Why did you spell kitchen, KItchen, with a capital K and I. From Matthew.

    ReplyDelete