Thursday, May 30, 2013

Minimal Screw Ups in the KItchen: That Little Notebook


I have been working at my daughter’s kitchen for a while. After doing the same jobs over and over, I seem to be finally hitting my stride.

 

For the longest time, I have written down how to make certain things. I would write and re-write how to prepare and assemble certain food dishes. I keep a little notebook in my purse, only to jot down something new or look at what I need for the job that I am working on. Although, I keep my notebook with me (and I have food spots on each page), I’m finding that I don’t seem to be using it as much. I guess doing the same jobs, over and over, seems to be etched in my brain.

 

There are times that I actually remember all those little tips of how to finish off some of my platters for eye appeal. I even managed not to open the dishwasher during a rinse cycle. Thankfully, the floor and I have remained consistently drier then in my earlier years of helping out.

 

But today – after all my hours of working and not screwing up – I managed to screw up two of my jobs. I burned the cookies that I was baking for an event…despite that I was working at the prep table right across from the ovens.

 

Then the croutons that I had cut from day old bread and tossed with all those herbs and olive oil – burned.  The saddest part was that I had just turned the trays around. In the end, I totally forgot that I had the croutons in the oven.

 

Maybe it is the fact that when I am working alone in the kitchen, I seem to be paying better attention then when I am working with someone and talking to them.

 

Oh well, I guess I am happy to realize that my mistakes and screw ups are only occurring occasionally and not all the time. I guess that really is something to be happy about.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should still use the notebook. From Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, Matt...I still use that old notebook. Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete