Monday, September 2, 2013

Musings on Family Life


While babysitting my grandchildren one night, my oldest grandson entered the kitchen wearing a football jersey. Matt is an interesting kid and we have always been able to talk to one another. He is an average built kid, but tonight he looked rather bulky, wearing his football jersey. While we were talking, Matt took off his jersey and asked me to hold it. I draped the jersey on my arm. I watched him hand me 22 jerseys before he got down to a t-shirt and his old self. Wow -  22 jerseys which included two jerseys for Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward, Reggie Bush 2 jerseys for Troy Polamalu, Brian Urlacher, Tony Romo, 2 for Peyton Manning and a few others.

 

“What no Browns jersey?” I asked. The answer was right in front of me. Guess no die-hard Steelers fan who hates Cleveland would be caught dead or alive wearing that jersey. But my grandson was pretty amusing and entertaining that night.

 

***

 

There’s nothing like free labor in my garden. I used my two grandchildren to help me in my garden before school started. One pulled weeds, dead flowers and plants. The other dug holes in the ground and planted my four mum plants and one yarrow plant.

 

The jobs were done perfectly. My newly dug in plants look great along the side of my house. My side garden looks positively clean and great for the remaining blooming Shasta daisies and other flowering plants.

 

I treated my grandchildren to lunch at their favorite pizza shop. My reward was a clean garden, jobs well done and spending a few hours alone with my grandchildren.

 

* * *

 

Last year, I wrote about paper clips and how much I liked them. I like the metallic colored ones the best. My one friend gives me different types of paper clips that she finds. I have bought some smaller colored paper clips in different shapes like circles, triangles, etc. My grandchildren saw them and told me how much they liked my paperclips. So, I searched my writing bag and all of my drawers and came up with some extra paper clips – ultra huge ones, different shaped ones, and some odd ones shaped like an airplane.

 

I figured it would take a lot for me to use most of the specialty ones. It’s kind of nice to know my grandchildren can make use of my extra paper clips, as they either save them or use them at school.

2 comments: