Saturday, March 4, 2017

Easing Back into the Catering Kitchen











I have slowly been easing myself back into my daughter’s catering kitchen, to work. Every other week, I make soufflĂ©s. Now I am going in and making meatballs for her downtown Deli. So, I can add those two jobs to my work list in the kitchen.

While prepping and making those two foods, there is also the clean-up side of things. There is no one to clean up my mess or my work table. The long sheet trays and the big mixer and paddle, do not clean themselves. So, in essence, I am my own dishwasher.

Along the way, I have learned a few things in the kitchen and one of the rules are - do not open the dishwasher unless you know that it has finished its complete cycle, otherwise, you will get a small shower and have to clean up the water on the floor. It took me a long time to learn that lesson…but eventually, I did.

I now know how to stack 2 long sheets trays back to back at the same time, in the dishwasher, which helps. The large mixing bowl and paddle, the bowls from the mixer, knives, spatulas, and whisks, along with the food chopper, also needs to be washed up because they are used continuously in the kitchen.

The work in the kitchen can be hard but it also can be rewarding. Sometimes, though I screw up. Sometimes, I have to do my job over. But one thing for sure is when I leave the kitchen, I am tired but I am happy with the jobs that I have completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment