Sunday, March 26, 2017

Gymkhana



This past Saturday, I went to Gymkhana with my daughter and her two sons. My grandson, Will, was taking a gymnastic class in a group of 3 and 4 years old.

I looked around and saw all the young parents that were there and I thought that it was really cool to see as many dads as mothers. There were at least 14 little girls in colorful leotards and then there was Will, dressed in his t-shirt and sweatpants. Will was the only boy in the class.

At first, Will, didn’t want to go into the gym area but one of the young volunteers said something, picked up a laughing Will, and carried him inside. No adults were allowed to accompany the children into the gym. They could watch their young gymnasts through the glass doors, or through the large glass window, or on the television monitor, which was divided into four parts: the mat, rings, balance beams, and the trampoline. I watched Will on the television monitor.

Will might have had to be carried into the gym but I watched him progress from a timid little guy to bouncing on the equipment and enjoying everything that he tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment