Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Justice moves Slowly




My Monday baking time in the kitchen was placed on hold. I had jury duty and needed to be at the Allegheny County Court House by 8:30. Normally I would be in the kitchen with the eggs, butter, and dry ingredients spread out on my prep table, waiting for me to begin measuring things out.

So far, we’ve been instructed that this was a light day for cases. I could tell it was a light day because the jury room had a small number of potential jurors, sitting on chairs, waiting. At first, people were quiet, and then they started talking quietly to one another. After a while, everyone seemed resigned to just sitting quietly, texting, communicating through their electronic devices, or nodding off in the warm room.

All I know is the jaws of justice grinds slowly, especially for a juror sitting around. Between my reading of the history of the Grateful Dead and writing my Blog, my butt was numb. I also had the beginning of a headache. I wanted to close my eyes and fall asleep, except my stomach kept growling, and it kept me awake. I kept checking the clock, and realized that the clock hands were crawling, sluggishly, around the clock.

I felt like I’ve been here forever. Well, I did get into the waiting room by 8:15 and it was now 10:00. If I were in the kitchen, I probably would have had one of my scones made or had my cookie dough made.

But here in the courtroom, I wrote one blog, read 50 pages of my book, went to the bathroom, edited some of my writing and watched the clock. I’m praying that this day ends quickly.

My assessment:  Justice moves rather slowly or sometimes not at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment