Monday, June 4, 2018

Heat and Humidity


Last week, the temperatures and humidity were extremely high. Since the kitchen that I work in doesn’t have any air conditioning…it was damn hot! The heat wasn’t what bothered me the most. It was the fact that my lemon/white chip cookies tasted good but they spread out too much while baking and the ends of the cookies were crumbly. The same thing happened with my chocolate chunk scones.

I’m not a perfectionist by a long shot, but I wasn’t pleased with either baked product. I did sample the lemon cookies and they tasted great. I just let them cool down and then I wrapped them in plastic and placed them in a container in the freezer. I am hoping this will help.

As for the chocolate chunk scones, I remade them. I cut them into triangle shapes and put them on a cookie sheet in the Walk In to bake the next day.

I looked at the weather for next week and found that it would be much cooler. So my days in the kitchen baking should be more comfortable and productive.

One thing for sure is that humidity and heat wreak havoc on the baker and on the baked goods!

No comments:

Post a Comment