Thursday, April 3, 2014

A Salute to my son, the Policeman

When my oldest son announced he was going to be policeman I was surprised. This took me aback coming from one of my kids, the ones I never bought toy guns for, except for squirt guns. Now he wanted to be a cop with a gun, handcuffs and a Taser!

At the time my son announced his intentions to be a cop; he was studying to be a teacher and only had to do student teaching to get his education degree. He did become a policeman for the city of Pittsburgh.


My oldest son amazes me; he never lets any of his police business slip out in his conversations. He never talks about his job. If and when he does, it is generic, like talking about the young woman who cried when he gave her a ticket. He told her tears didn’t matter, she was speeding. Enough said. Or having a neighbor blow his identity while he was working as an undercover cop. He shared how he made a call where a little girl was found in a baby pool. Later, I would find out from someone, that he visited the little girl in the hospital, where he brought her a teddy bear. Or how he mentioned the fact that he was disturbed by his latest case. I would read about that case in the newspaper – about the two young women who were killed in their home.

I never watch the local news or read any of the local newspapers. I should but I don’t. If I were to do so, and a story appeared about my son, he would turn his back so as not to be interviewed or have his picture taken.



Today, I am privileged to be with his family at City Hall and watch my son and another man being promoted from Sergeant to Lieutenant. I remember when I went to Matt’s swearing in ceremony when he became a young police officer, and then when he was promoted to Sergeant. Now he is a Lieutenant!  


I thought long and hard about what I wanted to say. So here goes my open letter to my son...
Dear Matt,
You are my oldest son. We spent the first two years of your life alone with one another. Then along came eight other brothers and sisters. To say the least, you are an interesting human being, and it has been my privilege to watch you grow up into a self-assured young man. You are the most honest person I have ever met. You not only talk the talk, but you walk the walk. You have endured a very tough year, but you stood tall and strong. I am so proud of you for being an honest man, a faithful husband, a good father, a caring son, but especially for being an honest and fair cop.  Good job, Matt; a good job well done, and a life to be proud of. I am so very proud to call you my son.

Love, Mom

2 comments: