Thursday, April 17, 2014

Greenhouse Journal: Day 8




Two weeks ago, I spent the morning attending my son’s ceremony where he was being promoted to a Lieutenant for the Pittsburgh Police Department. It was a pretty awesome deal to watch the event. After a small party of cake and pizza, I changed into my work clothes, and reluctantly drove to the Greenhouse.

There was a small shipment of plants waiting to be planted. I signed in and hurried to Greenhouse 6. I looked at the six trays of Zinnia plants waiting for me. The Zinnia plugs are as small as the Begonia plants. They had been watered well, so getting the plants out of the tray was fairly easy.




The music was on, and I was alone in my little world planting four different varieties of Zinnia – Double Zahara, Fire, Yellow, and Profusion Cherry. I like the Zinnias because they are so colorful, the blooms love the heat, and the plant is disease resistant. I use these plants in my garden and cut them for the clear small glass vases that are on my window ledge in my kitchen.



After two hours, I looked around and I was finished with all the plants. I watered in the plants, checked off the plants from the list, threw away the old plug trays and my worn out latex gloves, and I turned off the radio. I noticed on the clipboard that more plants would come in toward the end of the week. There would be a good shipment that would include the flowering Vinca.




I signed out by 3. Two hours of planting and leaving the greenhouse knowing all the planting was done for the week, left me with a good feeling. On the way out, I scratched Tonka’s head goodbye (Tonka is the greenhouse cat), and left to drive home.

2 comments:

  1. I worked today, all by myself. Planted up 20 baby plugs. I never thought that I could do that on my own! I Rule!!!

    ReplyDelete