Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Greenhouse Journal: Day 6




After signing in, I start to work around 8:45. I had a few trays of plants left from yesterday and I am determined to finish up that order. I spend the next two hours working alone in Greenhouse 5, with the radio blaring in the background. The music fills up the silence of the work area, soothes me and makes me work faster to its rhythm.

I lay out the planting trays, water the soil, stack the trays, and begin planting the Misty Veil Torenia. The Torenia will produce a delicate trumpet shape flower. I go on to Indigo Blue. After planting the baby plugs, I water them in.

Then I move on to Verbena, and plant up two varieties that include Candy Cane and Lanai Peach. I have to stop and eat a peanut butter cracker and swallow that down with water.

Lobelia is next and I plant up Midnight Blue. After,  I start to work on Ipomoea. This variety is called Sweet Georgia Bullfrog. The variegated leaves range from a medium green to a darker green. This plant will add a nice contrast in a garden pot with other plants. I make a mental note to add this plant to my garden pots for summer.

My final plants are a tray of Begonia Gumdrop Coco Rose. When I have planted the last plant, watered it, and cleaned up, I realize that I am done. It has taken me two hours to complete my work.



After being in the warm greenhouse, in my own sweet world, I am forced to walk to my car as the snow 
starts falling. I am headed home but I feel good about my morning’s work.

No comments:

Post a Comment