Monday, April 14, 2014

Friday Night Movie with Matt

I picked up my oldest grandson, Matthew, and we drove out to Cranberry to see a movie. We had plans to see the movie Draft Day. The movie was about what goes on behind the scenes of the NFL Draft. My grandson loves football, collects football cards, plays football and writes a blog called NFL Benchwarmers.

Seeing the movie was a bit more special because it was about the Cleveland Browns football team. Since I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, the Browns were and still are the team I love and root for. I live and die for the Browns. I still bleed orange and brown. I start every football season like all Brown’s fans with high hopes, only to have our hearts broken.

I loved the movie and seeing the Cleveland scenery; the West Side Market, downtown Cleveland, some of the neighborhoods, the stadium and the Brown’s headquarters. I felt good about Cleveland and it brought back some good memories of sitting in the stadium watching a Sunday afternoon football game. The fans are crazy and colorful and they really have a lot of heart. It also brought back Monday morning memories of disappointment after a Brown’s loss.

There were some cameo appearances in the movie by Deon Sanders, Ray Lewis, Bernie Kosar, Jim Brown, and a few others. Kosar was the Cleveland Browns quarterback from the mid 80s to the early 90s. Jim Brown was one of the greatest running backs ever, who played for the Browns! He played from 1957 to 1965.

Inside the Brown’s Headquarters were a lot of framed photos hanging on the walls with a number of great players from the past. One in particular was #17, the QB Brian Sipe from 1974-1983, and the era of the Kardiac Kids. I have a Sipe Jersey, which I wear on game days. I also have an authentic Jim Browns, #32 Jersey and it is signed, which I do not wear.

The movie was good and my grandson and I enjoyed it while munching on popcorn and Matt drinking a large blue flavored Icee. I would have never gone to see the movie if it wasn’t for Matt, despite his saying why did they ever make a movie of the Browns? I don’t know because they definitely are not winners but their fans are winners.


Anyway…thanks, Matt! Hope you had as good a time as I did?!

2 comments:

  1. From Matt - I also had a great time. By the way, the Running Back who got drafted by the Browns was a real NFL Running Back. He's Arian Foster and plays for the Houston Texans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info, Matt. I didn't know that. Probably because I was looking at all the other Cleveland things! I am glad that you had a good time. We have to find another movie to go to.

    ReplyDelete