Monday, April 21, 2014

My Eyes are Numb!

I spent the past week – working. Yes, actually working. Well, Monday was my day to write with my friend. But from Tuesday to Friday, I actually worked at two different jobs. Tuesday and Wednesday, I did some work at my daughter’s catering kitchen. I even went in on Friday for a while, after I finished my job at the greenhouse. It’s been quite a while since I came in and helped out. Thursday and Friday, I worked at the greenhouse.

On both days working at the kitchen I didn’t do a lot. I made some of the salad dressings: two gallons of Italian and two gallons of Balsamic Dressings. I had to skip the Ranch Dressing because we didn’t have any buttermilk on hand. That would have to wait until tomorrow. I actually amazed myself because I used the correct measurements and didn’t spill any of the dressings when I poured it into the containers with the help of a large funnel. This was a big accomplishment for me!

My other job was to make Bruschetta topping. I cup up a green pepper, substituted a yellow pepper for a red one, purple onion and tomatoes. I followed the directions to make only 2-1/2 cups, which I did. I mixed the topping, covered it and put it in to the walk-in.

I followed this up by making an artichoke salad. I sliced some artichoke hearts, and sliced a green pepper, purple onion, and put in feta cheese. After mixing the salad with Italian dressing, I covered it and also placed it in the walk-in.

Then I cut up each hot dog into three pieces. I pulled out the pastry, which I would cut into triangles and roll the hot dogs in them. This was for children that would be attending a party. I made 99 of them.

The best part was after cleaning up for a wedding tasting, I was invited to go along to the bar next door. We actually had two rounds of beers bought for us. My Blue Moon hit the spot. I think it had something to do with the orange slice that I promptly ate because I was hungry. After consuming my second beer and orange slice, I turned to my daughter and said that my eyes were numb. She cut me off, ordered a glass of water and some wings. I kept the water coming. We were at the bar for a while. When my eyes were no longer numb, I decided it was time for me to go home. I said goodbye to Erin and Katie, and drove carefully home.

I had never been invited for drinks after work and this kind of made me feel like a real worker in my daughter’s kitchen.


P.S. – I’m not a big drinker but my eyes felt better and I didn’t wake up with a headache, either! Welcome to the big times, Mary!

No comments:

Post a Comment