Monday, April 7, 2014

Greenhouse Journal: Day 7



Today, I started working at 8:45. This morning while I walked through Greenhouse 5, I pulled out my camera. I had to take a few pictures of the beautiful Double Pink Impatiens. The flower reminds me of a miniature rose. This one is a mixture of light pink and a darker pink. I realize as I took a few pictures that I was responsible for planting the Impatiens and a lot of the other flowering plants. It is like watching my babies grow. I also take some photos of a few of the other plants that I had planted…the purple and white Torenia and the blue flowered Lobelia.

I stop at take a photo of the Begonias that are filling the shelves, waiting to be planted today. I put away my camera and take two trays of the Begonias and walk into Greenhouse 6. I lay these out on the bench in my planting area and take a few more pictures in Greenhouse 6.



Then I put the camera away, take off my jacket, put on my brown apron, and pull on a pair of latex gloves. I lay out the flats, filled with soil, water them in, and begin the process of planting the Begonias. The Begonias are root bound and difficult to pull out without breaking off the leaves.







I stop to take a 15 minute lunch break and gratefully sat down to eat but mostly to rest and get off of my feet. Then it is back to work. I am determined to get all the planting down. Thank heavens, Carol, who I work under, is filling the plants with soil and plants up the four trays of white Begonias. I continue and finish the trays of Salvia – Summer Jewel Red and Sizzler Red, along with the rest of the Begonias – Bicolor Rose, Rose, Scarlet and the four trays of pink.





When I finally finished…let’s just say, I had enough of planting those pesky hard to remove Begonias. I was glad that they were planted up, and that Carol took mercy on me and did the final pink tray. I was tired when I left the greenhouse, knowing that another shipment would arrive late on Friday afternoon. I also know that I would be back, planting up that order next week. I can’t wait to see what is starting to bloom in the greenhouse. Then I have Friday to look forward too – Pay Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment