Friday, July 14, 2017

Strawberry Moon Farewell





What is a Strawberry Moon…? When I first heard that term, Strawberry Moon, I didn’t know what it meant. So, I decided to look it up and found out that a Strawberry Moon was the name that the Algonquin tribes gave to the moon. It appeared during the short harvesting season for Strawberries in the Northern Hemisphere.

 


  Well, on our last night in Rockport, my friend and I walked the short distance to the rocky pier, from our rental. While my friend took some photos, I walked as far as I could, and sat down on the rocks, looking out at the water, the sky and the house and some of the boats that were in the water. A lone bird was bathing in the water or maybe eating and I took a picture of it. After saying goodbye to the ocean, to Rockport, to all the other places that I had visited and the great memories, I got up and started to walk back to find my friend. I saw her as she kept trying to get my attention to look back at the water. Finally, I got the message and looked back at the water. I couldn’t believe my eyes - the moon was rising up out of the water, from the short time that I walked away.




I quickly pulled out my camera and starting to take pictures of the translucent moon that got bigger and brighter. It was the color of a strawberry and got intense. A few people had come out and they told us that it was a Strawberry Moon. It was beautiful. The whole evening was a gift and so was the Moon. It was a true goodbye gift to us. I don’t know if I will ever see another Strawberry Moon but there was something different about seeing one on our last night of vacation, coming up out of the water and getting bigger more intense in color. It was a farewell to us and a thank you as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment