Saturday, July 8, 2017

The Woman of Gloucester





Another monument that we stopped to see along the promenade by the water was the Woman of Gloucester. There were a number of flags, proudly and precisely flying in the breeze, all in the same direction, which seemed to honor this woman and all the wives of the fishermen.


This monument is one of a woman, cradling a small child in one arm with her other hand on the shoulder of a child, standing next to her. On the base was etched “The wives, mothers, daughters, and sisters of Gloucester fishermen honor the wives and families of fishermen and mariners everywhere for their faith and diligence, and fortitude,”


As I stood there looking at the statue, I could only imagine being a fisherman’s wife or family member and waiting for the return of my husband or son. I know that being a fisherman is one those dangerous jobs and if I were married to one – I, too, would be staring intently out at the water, waiting for their safe return.

Before I had ever seen this statue, my only connection to it was after I attended grad school and became friends with one of the visiting authors who taught one of my seminar courses. I learned a lot from Susan Pollack and she eventually became an email mentor to me concerning my writing and ways to be published. A few years later, Susan published a cookbook and I promptly ordered it. It was called, Gloucester Fishermen’s Wives Cookbook. On the cover was the famous Woman’s statue. Now years later, I was now standing in front of it and taking as many pictures as I could.

What was very interesting about my trip besides all the great sights, is all of the connections and coincidences that have touched me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment